Northern Nevada Legal Aid (NNLA), formerly known as Washoe Legal Services, seeks a Supervising Attorney for our Housing & Consumer (H&C) Department. This attorney will maintain a caseload and supervise a team of Housing and Consumer attorneys who provide direct legal representation through our Housing and Consumer department. Attorneys in good standing with an active bar license from any U.S. jurisdiction can be licensed in Nevada under Supreme Court Rule 49.1 to fill this position. If you are looking to directly provide essential legal service to your community and join a team of caring individuals and an employer who values your contributions and provides a positive work-life balance, NNLA may be the place for you!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead the legal work of Housing & Consumer program attorneys and support staff across multiple offices (H&C attorneys and staff work weekly at the Reno Justice Center and our Senior Law Center)
- Conduct weekly case acceptance meetings to decide level of client representation
- Participate from time to time in local and regional community education outreach events related to H&C rights
- Coordinate with community partners and serve as a community resource
- Conduct annual evaluations for H&C staff attorneys and support staff
- Assume other duties assigned as needed by the H&C program
- Active member in good standing of the State Bar of Nevada or active, licensed attorney in good standing from any United States jurisdiction to comply with Supreme Court Rule 49.1
- One (1) year experience supervising attorneys and support staff
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to take initiative and work independently
- Excellent relationship-building skills (comfort appearing in a courtroom and professional meetings where teamwork is essential; being an empathetic communicator with a positive attitude)
- Desire to problem-solve, make decisions efficiently, and refer clients to resources as appropriate
- Ability to focus on multiple cases and travel to clients and court appearances, when necessary
- A genuine commitment to serving the indigent and underrepresented in our community
Position is a full-time, exempt position, with a salary range of $79,000 – $90,000, depending upon experience. NNLA promotes superior work-life balance by offering a 35-hour work week, 13 paid holidays per year, and a generous Personal Time Off (PTO) program that starts accruing immediately to earn over 5 weeks of PTO a year (increase in PTO accrual after 2 years). NNLA also offers an excellent benefits package which pays 100% of the employee Medical, Dental, Vision and Life plans and 75% of dependents’ benefit premium. In addition, NNLA offers a 401(k)-matching program, an Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Care Account, and access to supplemental insurance benefits.
Application Deadline and Starting Date
Position is available immediately and will remain posted until filled.
How to Apply
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to:
Northern Nevada Legal Aid
Human Resources Department
NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE
Work is expected to be performed primarily on-site at the primary office of NNLA, located at 299 S. Arlington Ave situated between Reno’s Downtown and Midtown neighborhoods. A hybrid/telework schedule may be considered dependent on organizational needs.
About Northern Nevada Legal Aid
Formerly known as Washoe Legal Services, Northern Nevada Legal Aid (NNLA) is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and public interest law firm in Reno, Nevada, that was established and has been in continuous operation since 1965. NNLA’s purpose is to provide access to justice for vulnerable populations in Northern Nevada, give voice to those who might otherwise not be heard, empower individuals to advocate for themselves, and make positive changes in the communities we serve (regardless of ability to pay). NNLA plays a critical role in helping individuals facing eviction or other housing issues to know and defend their rights. We promote the safety and stability of domestic violence victims and their children. We represent abused and neglected children in foster care proceedings. We serve immigrants who are victims of crime and domestic or sexual violence. We serve the elderly and disable adults facing guardianship proceedings. In 2022, Northern Nevada Legal Aid assisted in over 10,500 legal matters.
NNLA is an ADA/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to the empowerment of vulnerable individuals and communities, through the expansion of access to legal justice in Northern Nevada. Individuals of diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
"*" indicates required fields