Northern Nevada Legal Aid (NNLA), formerly known as Washoe Legal Services, is seeking a Staff Attorney for our Adult Guardianship Department. Staff Attorneys in this department are appointed by the court to represent protected persons in adult-guardianship proceedings under NRS 159 and attend weekly court hearings in counties throughout Northern Nevada, principally in Washoe County. Many court hearings are handled remotely; when required by the court, the Staff Attorney must timely appear in person for assigned court hearings. NNLA will train the right candidate for this position. If you are looking to directly help your community and you want an employer who values your contributions and provides a positive work-life balance, then NNLA may be the place for you!
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Visit with assigned clients prior to all court hearings,
- Establishing a trusting and confidential relationship with clients and advocate for their expressed wishes during any court proceedings and with opposing counsel and service providers,
- Ensure that clients’ due process rights are protected,
- Investigate client’s circumstances by effectively communicating and collaborating with client’s family, significant others, doctors, petitioners/guardians, guardians’ counsel, government attorneys and public guardians as well as facilities where the client may be placed to ensure the Protected Persons’ Bill of Rights set forth in NRS 159.328 and other applicable law is followed,
- Attends outreach events for NNLA and other regional events, coordinating with community partners, and serving as a community resource,
- Other duties assigned, as needed
- Qualified candidates must be a member of the Nevada Bar, or possess an active and good standing Bar License from any United States jurisdiction to comply with Supreme Court Rule 49.1,
- Excellent legal research and writing skills,
- Effective Decision-making skills including deciding how the law applies to the facts in each case and deciding what steps need to be taken to ensure the law is being followed and the clients’ wishes and interests are being served,
- Effective verbal communication skills,
- Ability to concentrate and focus on multiple cases and travel to clients and court appearances, when necessary,
- Experience with Adult Guardianship and the Protected Persons’ Bill of Rights set forth in NRS 159.328, desired,
- A genuine passion and deep commitment for the mission of NNLA,
- Desire to problem-solve, make decisions efficiently, and refer clients to resources as appropriate,
- Strong organizational skills, technical/database skills, and attention to detail,
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as part of a great team of caring individuals providing an invaluable service.
Position is a full-time, exempt position, with a salary range of $66,500-$70,000, depending upon experience. NNLA promotes a positive work-life balance by offering a 35-hour work week, 13 paid holidays per year, and a generous Personal Time Off (PTO) program that starts accruing immediately to earn over 5 weeks of PTO a year (increase in PTO accrual after 2 years). NNLA offers a competitive benefits package which pays 100% of the employee Medical, Dental, Vision and Life plans along with paying 75% of dependents benefit premium. In addition, NNLA has a 401(k)-matching program, an Employee Assistance Program, Flexible Spending Account, Dependent Care Account, and supplemental benefits.
Application Deadline and Starting Date:
Position is available immediately and will remain posted until filled.
How to Apply:
To apply, please email a cover letter and resume to:
Northern Nevada Legal Aid
Human Resources Department
NO TELEPHONE CALLS PLEASE
After successful training, remote/hybrid work options will be available. Travel is required to counties outside of Washoe and to facilities and residences of our clients, in-person appearances at hearings may be required. Physical demands include high use of desk and computer.
About Northern Nevada Legal Aid:
Formerly known as Washoe Legal Services, Northern Nevada Legal Aid (NNLA) is a private 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in Washoe County, Nevada, which was established in 1965 and has been in continuous operation since. In addition to our Adult Guardianship program, NNLA plays a critical role in helping individuals facing eviction or other housing issues to know their rights. We promote the safety and stability of domestic violence victims and their children. We represent abused and neglected children in foster care proceedings. We serve immigrants who are victims of crime and domestic or sexual violence. In 2022, Northern Nevada Legal Aid assisted in over 10,500 legal matters, including representation of 1,258 protected persons in adult guardianship cases. NNLA’s purpose is to achieve justice for vulnerable populations whose voices might otherwise not be heard, to empower individuals to advocate for themselves, and to make positive changes in the communities we serve. We provide access to justice (regardless of their ability to pay), to protect client rights, safety, and family stability through the expansion of access to legal justice in Northern Nevada.
NNLA is an ADA/Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to the empowerment of vulnerable individuals and communities, through the expansion of access to legal justice in Northern Nevada. Individuals of diverse backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.
"*" indicates required fields