Legal Aid Clinics for Attorneys and Clients
Northern Nevada Legal Aid offers free legal clinics in English and Spanish.
Topics include family law, protection orders, and more. Contact us to register today.
Register for Free Legal Clinics
About Our Free Legal Clinics: Topics and Registration
To supplement our Nevada self-help law center and free legal service in Reno, Nevada, Northern Nevada Legal Aid conducts legal clinics on many legal issues. The subjects of these English and Spanish language clinics vary, but they focus on the practice areas for which our team offers affordable legal services. See below to learn more.
Family Law Clinic
Although it is temporarily on hold due to COVID-19, our family law clinic is typically offered weekly. The clinic covers a wide array of related subjects, including divorce, child custody, community property, community debt, and many other topics related to family law in Reno.
The primary goal of this clinic is to empower attendees to represent themselves in family court. Attendees can learn the following, among other subjects:
- How to file a custody petition
- How to complete a divorce complaint
- How to distinguish between the types of child custody
- How Nevada family courts calculate child support
Clinics also examine the family law resources available to attendees, including the Northern Legal Services civil law self-help center.
To learn more about our family law clinics, click here.
Temporary Protection Order Clinic
Northern Nevada Legal Aid conducts a weekly legal clinic that focuses on Nevada temporary protection orders. Clinic registrants can expect to learn about the following concepts, among other items:
- Types of orders. Nevada courts issue several types of orders, including protection orders, restraining orders, and no-cause orders. Understand the different types and when they apply.
- TPO extensions. TPOs can only last for 45 days, but they are eligible for extensions that last as long as two years. The Northern Nevada Legal Aid team will help you understand how to get an extended protection order.
- How to prepare for an extension hearing. For your TPO extension to be granted, you will likely have to attend an extension hearing. You will come away from our clinic with a complete understanding of preparing for the hearing to give yourself the best possible chance of success.
To learn more about Northern Nevada Legal Aid protection order clinics, click here. If you need more immediate legal assistance with a protection order, please contact us to seek free legal services or guidance with our Nevada self-help law center.
How to Register for Free Legal Clinics
To register for any upcoming clinic, please contact the Northern Nevada Legal Aid team here. Because seating is limited, we ask that prospective attendees register beforehand and not bring along family members or friends.
Our free legal counsel and Northern Nevada legal aid teams routinely update our events calendar with information about new and upcoming clinics. Please check the calendar to see clinic dates and times. If you are representing yourself in court and need legal assistance before one of our scheduled free legal clinics, please visit our civil law self-help center, contact us online or give us a call at (775) 329-2727.
There are no upcoming events at this time